President Obama proclaimed May, 2012 as "Older Americans Month". This year's theme of "Older Americans Month" is "Never Too Old to Play". Every Year the U.S. Census Bureau provides a fact sheet to celebrate this month.
Here are some highlights from this fact sheet:
- 40.3 million people in the U.S.were 65 or older in 2010
- $31,408 is the median income of householders 65 and older
- 9% is the poverty rate for people 65 and older
- 6.7 million people 65 or older were in the workforce in 2010 and this is projected to increase to 11.1 million by 2018
- 81% of householders age 65 or older owned their own homes in 2010.
- 74.1 was the median age of the 65 and older population in 2010.
- 9.1 million veterans of the armed services are age 65 or older