National Hurricane Preparedness week runs from May 27th - June 2nd and hurricane season officially starts on June 1st. It is important to prepare ahead of time - especially if you have special needs or own a pet. The Florida Department of Elder Affairs has published a "Disaster Preparedness Guide for Elders". This guide covers many types of disasters including:
Here are local Pasco County resources to prepare for hurricane season:
- Pasco County's Hurricane Guide (English version)
- Pasco County Hurricane Guide (Spanish version)
- 2012 Evacuation Map (English)
- 2012 Evacuation Map (Spanish)
- If you have special needs - you will need to pre-register for SNAPS services, like transportation and care. You can learn more about this service and get the application here.
- If you have a pet and need to have a place for him/her during an evacuation, there is one shelter that accepts pets. This shelter operates on a first-come, first-served basis and proof of vaccinations is required. In addition, the pet owners must stay with their pet. More information can be found here.