May is Older Americans Month. This year's theme of "Older Americans Month" is "Get Into The Act". Every Year the U.S. Census Bureau provides a fact sheet to celebrate this month.
Here are some highlights from this fact sheet:
- 44.7 million people in the U.S.were 65 or older in 2012
- $35,611 is the median income of householders 65 and older
- 9.5% is the poverty rate for people 65 and older
- 18.7% of Florida's population was 65 or older in 2012.
- 4.9 million full time year round workers were 65 and older in 2012.
- 9.3 million veterans of the armed services are age 65 or older
- 62.4% of those 65 and above accessed the Internet through a high - speed Internet connection