- Over one in every eight, or 13.3 %, of the population is an older American.
- People reaching age 65 have an average life expectancy of an additional 19.2 years ( 20.4 years for females and 17. 8 years for males).
- The median income of older persons in 2011 was $27,707 for males and $15, 36 2 for females.
- Almost 3. 6 million elderly persons (8.7 %) were below the poverty level in 2011 .
- In 2011, approximately 497,000 grandparents aged 65 or more had the primary responsibility for their grandchildren who lived with them.
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
The Administration On Aging, the Administration for Community Living, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services have published a new statistical report: "A Profile of Older Adults: 2012". The statistics in the report are mainly from the U.S. Census Bureau, the National Center for Health Statistics, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This report defines older adults as age 65+. Here are some of the highlights from the report: