The National Center on Elder Abuse of the Administration on Aging has announced that June 15, 2011 is the 6th annual World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. This agency wants to increase awareness of elder abuse, which can occur in homes or in institutions such as nursing homes. The types of elder abuse include:
- physical abuse
- verbal abuse
- sexual abuse
- theft, fraud, or use of undue influence to gain an older person's money or property
To report suspected elder abuse, neglect or exploitation in Florida, here are the contact numbers:
- 1-800-962-2873 (For suspected elder mistreatment in the home)
- 1-800-453-5145 (For suspected elder mistreatment in the home, TDD/TTY access)
- 1-888-831-0404 (For suspected elder mistreatment in long-term care facilities). This is the number for the Florida Long-Term Care Ombudsman program.
- contact older friends, neighbors, and relatives often and find out if they are having any problems.
- Contact your local Area Agency on Aging office to find local programs and sources of support for older adults (such as Meals on Wheels). These programs promote the health and independence of older adults. The elder helpline phone number for Pasco County is 1-800-963-5337.
- Volunteer as a Long-Term Care Ombudsman (see video below)