President Obama proclaimed May, 2011 as "Older Americans Month". This year's theme of "Older Americans Month" is "Older Americans: Connecting the Community". Every Year the U.S. Census Bureau provides a fact sheet to celebrate this month.
Here are some highlights from this fact sheet:
- 39.6 million people in the U.S.were 65 or older in 2009
- $31,354 is the median income of householders 65 and older
- 8.9% is the poverty rate for people 65 and older
- 6.5 million people 65 or older were in the workforce in 2009 and this is projected to increase to 11.1 million by 2018
- The state with the highest number of people age 65 or older is California (4.1 million). Florida is in second place with 3.2 million people age 65+.
- 81% of householders age 65 or older owned their own homes in 2010.
- 56% of people 65 and older were married in 2010
- 9 million veterans of the armed services are age 65 or older