- The majority of 55+ households are not in age-restricted communities.
- The primary reasons for moving are for family or personal reasons.
- Most 55+ households are happy with the house that they live in, but the households in the age-restricted communities had the highest measured happiness rating.
- The choice to move to a home in an active adult community to be closer to work has increased from 2% in 2001 to 12% in 2009.
- About 54,000 housing starts in 55+ communities are projected in 2011.
Saturday, April 23, 2011
MetLife Mature Market Institute has published a report based on data from the most recent American Housing Survey conducted by the Census Bureau. This report, "Housing Trends Update for the 55+ Market" describes "... where 55+ households live, characteristics of their homes and communities, and level of satisfaction with the homes and communities." In addition, the report includes information about households who moved and why they moved. Here are some key findings: