Friday, July 23, 2010

Job Tips for Baby Boomers

The MetLife Mature Market Institute has published a study about the new realities of the job market for aging baby boomers, called "Buddy Can You Spare a Job?".  The data for this study was based on a survey of 1,242 adults aged 55 - 70 and in-depth qualitative interviews with job coaches and employment agencies. This and accompanying research suggests that many baby boomers have decided to continue working until age 70 or later, at least in part because of the recent recession. Older adults face many obstacles in finding work. This study lists several faulty assumptions older adults make when looking for a job, including:
  • "I'll just do what I was doing before."
  • "My experience speaks for itself."
  • "I don't have time for this touchy-feely stuff about what work means to me."
  • "I know I'll become a consultant!"
  • "Of course I'm good with computers."
The study then suggests several important success strategies, including:
  •  Reframe your experience to demonstrate future value.
  • Nurture your network.
  • Update your computer technology skills
For more information, the entire study can be found here.

No comments: