President Obama proclaimed May, 2014 as "Older Americans Month". This year's theme of "Older Americans Month" is "Safe Today. Healthy Tomorrow.". Every Year the U.S. Census Bureau provides a fact sheet to celebrate this month.
Here are some highlights from this fact sheet:
- 43.1 million people in the U.S.were 65 or older in 2012
- $33,848 is the median income of householders 65 and older
- 9% is the poverty rate for people 65 and older
- 18.2% of Florida's population was 65 or older in 2012.
- 4.3 million full time year round workers were 65 and older in 2012.
- 9.6 million veterans of the armed services are age 65 or older